Are you sitting down? Chances are, you are. According to a study by the World Health Organization, 60-70% of people worldwide spend most of their day sitting down. And that’s not good news. Sitting for long periods of time can be harmful to your health, leading to conditions such as obesity, heart disease, and even cancer. That’s where an ergonomic chair comes in.
Ergonomic chair for Working from home: What is it & Why are they important?
An ergonomic chair is a type of chair designed to provide maximum support and comfort for the user. Often used in office settings, ergonomic chairs are now becoming more popular for use in the home office during & after the pandemic. While traditional office chairs can cause back and neck pain, an ergonomic office chair is designed to promote correct posture and reduce strain on the body. In addition, ergonomic chairs often come with features such as adjustable backrests and arm rests, which can further improve comfort levels.
Breakdown the ergonomic features
Choosing an office chair should be based on your physical needs and preferences. It is important to look for features such as lumbar support, adjustable backrests, armrests, and headrests. These features all help to reduce strain in different areas of your body while sitting down. Let’s check out what defines the great chair step by step
- The lumbar support usually is a curved piece of padding that sits in the lower part of your back and helps to keep your spine aligned. It is important that you are able to adjust it so that it fits your body comfortably and gives you optimal support. Usually, the degree of comfort is not exactly the same for everyone.
- Adjustable seat height and seat depth are important features of an ergonomic chair as they allow you to adjust the chair to suit your body shape. The ideal way to test if the seat is at the right height is by sitting with your feet flat on the floor and your legs bent at a 90-degree angle. If you find yourself slouching or tipping forward, it’s likely that the seat height needs adjusting.
- The material and upholstery of the chair also matter when selecting a chair. Look for a breathable fabric such as mesh or leather, which will help keep you cool in hot weather and provide extra cushioning when needed. Also, make sure that the quality is good
- Adjustable Backrests: Look for an office chair with adjustable backrests, which can be tilted back or forward to give you more or less support depending on your needs. It should also be adjustable in height so that it fits the size of your body correctly.
- Armrests: They help to reduce strain on the neck, shoulders, elbows and wrists while typing or writing at a desk. Make sure they are adjustable so that they fit correctly and provide maximum comfort.
Well, for an ergonomic office chair, it is important that the chair is covered by a manufacturer’s warranty so that you will be able to get it repaired or replaced if something happens to it.
It is recommended to buy an ergonomic office chair with a 5-10 years warranty. This will ensure that you get to enjoy the benefits of your purchase for a longer period of time and also give you peace of mind in case something happens to it. Some brands like Herman Miller, Steelcase, and Allsteel offer lifetime warranties.
The types of office chair
What is the difference between a task and an executive chair? Task chairs are designed for everyday use, providing basic lumbar support but lacking other features. Executive chairs offer more comfort and additional features such as adjustable armrests and headrests, allowing for more customization of the user’s experience.
There are still other types of chairs, for example: Ergonomic stools, ball chairs, and kneeling chairs. But they are not as popular and their correct use needs to be considered before purchasing.
How about the price?
When comparing price to ergonomic features, it is important to note that the cheapest option is not always the best choice. It is better to invest a little more for an ergonomic chair as this will provide you with more comfort and better posture in the long run.
A good office chair usually costs around $500 – $1,000. However, if you find a cheaper chair that has the features needed for an ergonomic setup, then this may be a good option for you as well.
For example: Nouhaus Ergo3D, Steelcase Series 1, Hon Ignition 2.0, SIHOO M57
High-end brands: Herman Miller Embody, Aeron, Steelcase Leap, Steelcase Gesture, Haworth Fern
Important notes: there is no chair that fits everyone. The best way to pick the ideal chair: Go to the local store and sit in it. For buying online, always look at the online reviews before making a purchase. Reddit is a channels that you can trust.
Although Working from Home has its perks, it also comes with some challenges
Working from home can be both rewarding and challenging. While there are many benefits of being able to work from home, such as reducing commuting costs and increasing productivity, there are still some challenges that come with it such as managing distractions, feeling isolated, and having limited access to office equipment.
But a great office chair is not a life-saver for all problems you may get. To be efficient and comfortable, one should consider other helpful equipment such as a standing desk, adjustable monitor arm, wrist rest for the keyboard, footrest and more.
We hope these tips help you to choose the right ergonomic chair for your work-from-home setup and ensure you stay comfortable and productive. Remember, when buying a chair, look for adjustable features such as armrests, backrests, height and seat depth so that it fits your body type correctly. Also, compare prices with the extra features offered and make sure there is a good warranty included. Finally, don’t forget about other important pieces of office equipment like a standing desk, monitor arms, footrests etc., which can help to complete your perfect WFH setup. Good luck! And Happy Working from Home!